Champions Watchtower
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Champions Online fan site created by fans for fans.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Champions newbie- confused

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Brodir

Champions newbie- confused Empty
PostSubject: Champions newbie- confused   Champions newbie- confused EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 1:53 pm

I've played City of Heroes for years.
Just started Champions.

Have a lvl 6 Might hero. I'm not sure what I'm doing. The Player Manual is too broad.
When do I get new powers? And how do I get them? Only have the same 2 I started with.
When I lvl, what should I concentrate the most on? I assume STR, Con, and PD/ED.

Besides missions, what else should I be doing?
Any suggestions for a newbie?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Horizon

Horizon

PostSubject: Re: Champions newbie- confused   Champions newbie- confused EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 10:27 pm

I am running a lvl 23 Might Build (themed from Superman), here are some pointers;

STR and CON for your two Focused attributes in whichever order you please...

You must go to a "Powerhouse", Portal that looks like a large spinning Gear with ramps leading to the hole in the center (Its brightly lit up)
Inside you speak to a powerhouse trainer, who gives you a menu of training possibilities for your new powers.

as a Tanker build (what Might's primary strength is) I suggest "Defensive Combo" over "Beatdown", this will require a retcon, if you took "Beatdown" originally...
"Defensive Combo" Provides a single stack of the "Defiance" buff, after the third consecutive hit with its attack... this is a Damage resistance buff roughly 5-10%

I suggest "Invulnerability" from Power Armor set for your Slotted Defense (fully ranked *3* I recieve a 31% Static Damage Resistance to all Damage types, and that Stack of "Defiance" from "Defensive Combo" combines nicely), (I also run **High Defense Gear, selecting attributes primarilly Str, and Con, with occasional Ego, End... **This further Boosts your Damage resistance, you can get roughly 25-30% more Damage resistance from your gear), I ran "Defiance" for a while, but saw a drastic improvement in my survivability and performance after I retconned to "Invulnerability"

You could take a great many different powers to support your role, "chainsaw" is a high DPS (Damage per second) Cone Melee attack, that can be maintained while on the move, This was not within my theme of course so I dont have it...

Later I took, "Heal Bots" from Gadgeteer set, and that blasted my overall survivability nearly three fold! (I RP them as Government issue, support Units)

My choices of additional Powers were "Frostbreath", which I took the advantage to gaurantee the "Chill" effect on a hit (hampers movement by 50+%, and can Freeze Opponents in place) and "Laserbeam Eyes" for ranged opponents, since it is self maintaining, and can be used on the move (besides in penetrates all targets between you and your target, thus hitting multiple opponents) I also took "Room Sweeper", for some mean knockback, and chose that for its Cone effect, meaning I can hit multiple targets... (Primarilly PvP in thought) Ultimately though, those powers were chosen because of their relativity to Superman... Razz

My newest power choice was "Masterful Dodge" which I only took over "Unbreakable" because of the Suspicious text of "Unbreakable"; "Unbreakable" suggest that your protection provided by the power is constantly refreshed for the duration of the power (15s) or untill you make an attack. I need something that protects me while I attack, so I went with "Masterful Dodge" which boosts your Dodge chance by an additional 200% and Boosts your Avoidance, (the Damage you ignore on a succesfful Dodge) by 50% for 15s. Both powers are Active Defenses, and they imply a global cooldown of 30s to all Active Defense powers, and they seem to universally have a cooldown of 90s themselves... (NOTE: "Nanobot Swarm" is a Power Armor, Power you can get that gives all your Powers Cooldowns a reduction of 30s (which can be boosted by another 30s per rank!))
Back to top Go down
Brodir

PostSubject: Re: Champions newbie- confused   Champions newbie- confused EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 1:30 pm

Here's my build for my lvl 9 Might:
Suggestions would be greatly appreciated:

STR 15
DEX 50
CON 31
INT 32
EGO 23
PRE 29
REC 20
END 20
HEALTH 1,147/1,147
ENERGY 48/105
OFFENSE 0
CRITICAL CHANCE 21.5%
CRITICAL SEVE 37%
PD 22.19
ED 22.19
DODGE 10%
AVOID 16.67%

Thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
promethear

promethear

PostSubject: Re: Champions newbie- confused   Champions newbie- confused EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 2:18 am

My personal opinion...If you are a MIGHT build, why is your STR so low? I would make Str 50+ and not worry about the dex so much. You lose the ability to crit as often, but your base damage goes up. (unless you stat focussed DEX...but I THINK you get a slightly better base damage with str focussed).
Back to top Go down
Horizon

Horizon

PostSubject: Re: Champions newbie- confused   Champions newbie- confused EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 8:15 am

Honestly? Start from scratch, as yer only lvl 9 (I can make that in about 1 1/2 hours)

Rebuild the Character, from the get-go, make him look as you wish, based on your theme... you may want a ranged energy Builder, *Especially if your PvP inspired (that is speculative at best though.)
*Persoanlly I like "Clobber" because of the Advantage to Interrupt your opponent later (which got nerfed to NO LONGER effect SuperVillains + (Players still are!)
"Superhuman" is a great starting talent Boosting your STR and CON attirbutes (These will be your main Attributes, so focus in them Later with your "FOCUS"s)

Ultimately Slot what you are going to enjoy, the game is about having fun, but if you want something solid to run on... "Clobber" or a ranged Energy Builder is your start, then "Beatdown" (I really Wish "Defensive Combo" was selectable at Creation...) for once you close the gap, having charged up some energy...

You will want to take "Invulnerability" as early on as you can, this has HUGE Survivability potential, fully Ranked, it stops over 30% of all incoming damage! in addition to High Defensive gear...

Powers with Knockback go a long way for you, especially with your focused strength, boosting your KB value... Besides being a pain in the @$$ for your opponents, it makes for great "Crowd Control", be ready to chase your target down however! (these powers tend to have HIGH damage output, but are easilly recognized by their dramatic charge time/pose... be wise in their use in PvP (dont charge fully unless your target is Rooted(HELD), or Slowed...

A good BLOCK replace, like a shield or "Retalliation" are a big part of your overall functionality as well (Providing you further Damage mitigation), especially as later, your role is the TANK, ie; Meatshield/HP Battery, you will be absorbing a lot of Damage for your allies, while they put the hurt on your enemies.

From there: Feel out the character through missions and some PvP at UTC, even if you dont care for PvP, a couple matches will really show you what you can expect (on worse terms, from a player!) from Supervillains +

Also, take into account the info I posted for you in this thread earlier, that coupled with this should really banish some shadows, and give you a strong basis on the ROLE Might plays.

Good Adventuring!

HOPE IT HELPS! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Champions newbie- confused   Champions newbie- confused Empty

Back to top Go down

Champions newbie- confused
Page 1 of 1